The building opened in1901and was described as ‘one of the finest schools in New Zealand’. It was designed by John Mitchell and Robert Watt, the Auckland Education Board architects, in the Free Classical or Queen Anne Revival style. The building was high tech for its time, using design to maximise light, air circulation and heat. It is listed on the New Zealand Historic Places Trust (NZHPT) as a Historic Place Category 2.
|Ref: AWNS-19011128-11-1, Onehunga Primary School, 1901, Sir George Grey Special Collections|
The school closed in 1981, after 80 years of use as an educational facility. Since this time, the school has been used for community events and is now known as the Onehunga Community House. Conservation work has been carried out on the exterior and interior, including on the belfry.
|Ref: AWNS-19060301-15-4, Onehunga Primary School, 1906, Sir George Grey Special Collections|