The school was originally housed in one of the Auckland Museum’s earlier locations on Princes Street (this building no longer exists ), close to the Emily Place Reserve. Classes were held in the Lecture Hall & the Main Hall. The school closed at the end of 1889 with the establishment of the Elam School of Art and Design.
|Ref: 4-RIC99, the Auckland Institute and Museum on the corner of Princes Street and Eden Crescent, c. 1880-1909, Sir George Grey Special Collections|
|Ref: 1-W937, old Grammar School on Symonds St, Sir George Grey Special Collections|
Over time, the Fine Arts Library has become an important and comprehensive, nationally recognised specialist art library. To mark the importance of this library, the first history of the Fine Arts Library has been written by Victoria Passau, Client Services Librarian at the Fine Arts Library and is available through the LIANZA website. The history has been put together using primary sources, including institutional records and oral histories of former and current library staff.
|Ref: AWNS-19050817-8-2, the Director and staff at Elam School of Fine Arts, 1905, Sir George Grey Special Collections|