2012 ANZAC Day blog challenge review


My girls took part in the Anzac Day Citizens Parade once again - as Scouts this year. One of my daughter's is also now an Assistant Patrol Leader. They are growing up so fast.

As usual, Anzac Day is a time for reflection. As a proud mother, I can relate a bit to the pride the mothers of the servicemen and women that fought, and get some inkling of the fear mixed with pride that the mothers must have felt when their children marched off to war.

Mothers look at their children with such hope for the future.

Once again, we have a great mix of New Zealand and Australian service people contributed from bloggers all over.

First post is Shelley, my co-host from last year:
Whilst growing up there weren’t many in the family with a military history. My grandfather was too young for WWI and in essential services (Railway) and not released for WWII. He did have a couple of brothers Driver Fred Farnham 65 Transport Platoon and Sergeant Alex Farnham 9 Div Ammunition Column but each Anzac Day when my interest was peaked they were no-where about to question although my Grandfather assured me that his job was very important in the war effort frankly I didn’t see how working on the Queensland railway system helped (I see now they did have an important contribution to make), anyway as a child I was resigned to the fact that there were no heroes in my family. 

Upon marrying I bought into a little more military history and hence my daughter being able to answer the challenge this ANZAC Day about the Shark Shooting Benjamin and Les the uncle who never married the girl he loved and was engaged to pre war because he couldn’t give her children post war. 

I’ve always been interested in the family tree and over the years I’ve gathered many stories and much information about past ancestors but late in 2011 I was blown away to find my Great Great Grandmother’s brother was one of the original ANZACs from Galipolli and one who came home. 

So I’ve done a little research into his war service and found he finished service a Private it set me thinking about those brave ANZAC’s and how many there must have been, men who achieved no rise in rank although they were there at every battle required of them. 

What form of bravery is that! To continually fight, to continually hold steadfast, to continually meet the enemy time and time again, to aid and assist the wounded their mates, to go into battle over and over again for years and yet to be a Private at the end. 

My pride in Private Arthur Harman WWI is immense! ANZAC yes! HERO YES!




I am British born, and of British parentage - so I don't have an Anzac to write about.

Like nearly all of us though, we had ancestors who served on both sides of our conflicts.

My paternal grandfather was in the Royal Navy in both WWI and WWII. My maternal grandfather served in the British Army in WWII. I had uncles who also served.

One uncle I have researched and written about on my personal blog: Able Seaman George Henry Harvey, I've just written an updated post about him, due to my cousin Mary having discovered a document in her family files.

Thank you so much to those of you who contributed this year. I enjoyed reading your stories, and shed quite a few tears.

Thanks to those of you reading this and helping ensure that the names of our service people live on.

Seonaid

Comments