It is a group of streets that was known as the Victory Estate – located up at the Mt Roskill end of Dominion Road in Auckland.
The subdivision was purchased by a syndicate in 1920, as reported in the NZ Herald newspaper. The land had been held for the past 50 years by the Wesley Training College who had possessed huge amounts of land in the area. It was described as “beautiful high green slopes …. Commanding magnificent views over Mount Eden” (New Zealand Herald, Vol. LVII, Issue 17412, 6 March 1920, p.9).
|Ref: DP Plan 16857, North Auckland Land District, Plan of Auckland Suburb, IV Titirangi S.D., Mt Roskill Road District, 1923|
|Ref: Auckland Weekly News, view of Mons, Belgium, 1914, Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19140910-41-2|
|Ref: Russell Southsea, Sir John R. Jellicoe, Lord High Admiral of the British Navy, 1916, Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19160323-37-1|
Keen to find out more?:
- Alexander, B.N. (1967). 'The Purpose and Provision of Reserves in Relation to Residential development' in 'New Zealand Surveyor', March 1967.
- McConnell, P. (1983). 'People & Progress: a study of place names in the Mount Roskill Borough'.
Author: Joanne Graves, Central Auckland Research Centre