Lopdell House, Titirangi, West Auckland
|Ref: Lopdell House, December 2013|
This locally important, grand building has had an interesting history and over the years has been used for a wide range of purposes. Built to try and capitalise on the established tourist trade in Titirangi and the Waitakere Ranges (primarily Auckland day trippers) ‘Hotel Titirangi’ was built in 1929-1930, and was promoted as “A Castle on the Fringe of Heaven” (‘Lopdell House and a History of Hotel Titirangi, by Peter Buffet (1986)).
|Ref: JTD-10A-01675, Advertisement for Hotel Titirangi, 1936, West Auckland Research Centre|
The photograph below was taken prior to the road from New Lynn to Titirangi being concreted in 1931, and also prior to the ‘Hotel Titirangi’ signage being added to the building.
|Ref: JTD-10A-01232, Titirangi Hotel, c. 193os, West Auckland Research Centre. Photograph reproduced by kind permission of Auckland War Memorial Museum, Ref: DU436.11|
|Ref: JTD-10A-02541, Hotel Titirangi and signpost, 193-, West Auckland Research Centre|
The aerial photograph below shows the imposing scale of the building in its surrounding landscape.
When the school transferred to purpose-built premises in Glen Eden in 1960, the building was renamed ‘Frank Lopdell House’ after the Superintendent of Education. For the next 22 years it offered residential training to in-service teachers from all over New Zealand.
|Ref: 786-A001-3, Lopdell House, Titirangi, c. 1973, Sir George Grey Special Collections|
Keen to find out more? Explore these heritage resources about Lopdell House:
- ‘Lopdell House and a history of the Hotel Titirangi’, by Peter Buffet (1986)
- ‘Lopdell House’ by Ciaran Barr Burns & Callum Doyle – JT Diamond Essay Competition (2006)
- ‘Lopdell House’ by Sophia Emerson – JT Diamond Essay Competition (2006)
- ‘Titirangi : fringe of heaven’ by Marc Bonny, edited by Bruce and Trixie Harvey (2011)
- Search Papers Past for full text articles. Keyword phrase search ‘Hotel Titirangi’
- Search the Local History Online database – for images and articles (which can then be viewed at the West Auckland Research Centre). Subject search: Hotel Titirangi and Lopdell House
- Newspaper articles and other items can also be located via the New Zealand Card Index (1950s - 1996) and Index Auckland (1996 onwards) keyword search: Hotel Titirangi and Lopdell House.
Author: Rachel, South Auckland Research Centre